Partner with Fargo Housing to provide housing for our community
The HCV Progam is a federally funded program that provides the property owner with direct monthly payments on behalf of the participating family to cover a portion of the rent. The HCV program provides quality rental housing for families, seniors and persons with disabilities who are earning incomes well below average.
Fargo Housing works with private landlords to provide rental homes for eligible families, seniors and people with disabilities who earn below average incomes. We do this by providing housing vouchers that pay a portion of the rent directly to the landlord. An advantage of participating in the program is landlords receive a contracted monthly payment, which helps promote stable tenancy.
- Families can select housing from a landlord participating in the program.
- Families pay about 30% of income towards rent; the voucher pays the difference.
- Screen and select voucher holders just as you would any other tenants.
- Guaranteed rent payments made directly to you
- You can request annual rent increases.
- Landlord receives payment for the full month if tenant moves out prior to the last day of the month.
- There are a large number of voucher holders seeking rentals.
- Fargo Housing will visit your property bi-annually to ensure its safety and that it meets federal Housing Quality Standards (HQS).
Becoming a Participating Landlord
Participation in the HCV program is voluntary. However, many families in our community rely on landlords like you who are willing to participate. An advantage of participating in the program is landlords receive a contracted monthly payment, which helps promote stable tenancy.
- The Landlord screens and selects a suitable tenant.
- The tenant provides the initial lease paperwork from Fargo Housing called the “REQUEST FOR TENANCY APPROVAL” to be completed by the Landlord & tenant.
- The tenant submits the competed paperwork to Fargo Housing and contacts the Landlord to set up a time to inspect the unit.
- After the unit passes inspection, the tenant signs the Landlord’s lease and submits a copy to Fargo Housing.
- The Landlord reviews and signs the “HOUSING ASSISTANCE PAYMENT (HAP)” contract provided by Fargo Housing.
- The first rent assistance check is mailed to the Landlord.