Housing FAQs

Housing FAQs2020-06-12T16:44:43+00:00

How can Fargo Housing help you?

Answers to frequently asked affordable housing questions

Together we can empower people to achieve independence through housing. Get answers to your affordable housing questions here. If you don’t find the information you are looking for, please contact us and we’ll get you an answer.

Does a family give up its housing assistance after the family completes their FSS contract?2020-06-12T13:16:25+00:00

No. Although the goal of the program is that families will no longer need housing assistance upon completion of the FSS program, some families that complete the program will still need assistance for housing. The law provides that a family may complete its FSS contract and receive its escrow while continuing to receive housing assistance.

What is the FSS escrow account?2020-06-12T13:12:13+00:00

An interest-bearing FSS escrow account is established by Fargo Housing for each participating family. An escrow credit, based on increases in earned income of the family, is credited to this account by Fargo Housing during the term of the FSS contract. Fargo Housing may make a portion of this escrow account available to the family during the term of the contract to enable the family to complete an interim goal such as education. If the family completes the contract and no member of the family is receiving public assistance, the amount of the FSS account is paid to the head of the family. If Fargo Housing terminates the FSS contract, or if the family fails to complete the contract before its expiration, the family’s FSS escrow funds are forfeited.

What services are provided through the Moving Up – FSS program?2020-06-12T13:10:27+00:00

Services include case management services that help participants pursue employment and other goals, and an escrow account into which the public housing agency (PHA) deposits the increased rental charges that a family pays as its earnings rise. Families that complete the program may withdraw funds from these accounts for any purpose after five years. FSS program coordinators insure that FSS program participants are linked to the supportive services they need to achieve economic self-sufficiency. Case management services may include, but are not limited to:

  • Child Care
  • Transportation
  • Education
  • Job Training and Employment Counseling
  • Financial Literacy
  • Homeownership Counseling
What requirements must a family meet to participate in the Moving Up – FSS program?2020-06-12T13:08:35+00:00

The FHA and the head of each participating family execute an FSS contract of participation that specifies the rights and responsibilities of both parties. The 5-year FSS contract specifies goals and services for each family. Family members must fulfill all requirements in order to obtain full benefits. The FSS contract requires that the family comply with the lease, that all family members become independent of public assistance, and that the head of the family seek and maintain suitable employment. Possible sanctions for noncompliance with the FSS contract are termination from the FSS program, forfeiture of the FSS escrow account, withholding or termination of supportive services, and termination of housing assistance.

How are families selected for the Moving Up – FSS program?2020-06-12T13:16:17+00:00

Fargo Housing can give a selection preference to eligible families with one or more family members enrolled in, or on the waiting list for, an FSS-related service or job placement program. Fargo Housing may screen applicants for interest and motivation to participate in FSS, but may not screen for education, job history, credit rating, marital status, or a number of children.

How do families apply to the Moving Up – FSS program?2020-06-12T13:03:08+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

Who is eligible for the Moving Up – FSS program?2020-06-12T12:58:02+00:00

The Moving Up – FSS program is available to public housing residents and Housing Choice Voucher program (formerly known as Section 8) participants.

Is there a fee for not paying my rent on time?2020-05-18T21:10:25+00:00

Late fees are applied to rent balances on rent payments received on or after the 8th of each month.

Please see the Residents page for more information.

How do I make a maintenance request?2024-01-17T16:18:12+00:00

Log into Rent Cafe, contact your property manager, or visit the office in person.

Please click link below to log into Rent Cafe


How do I pay my rent?2020-05-29T14:05:49+00:00

Please contact your Property Manager or visit the front desk.

When is my rent due?2020-05-29T14:10:45+00:00

Rent is due by the 8th of every month. Late fees will be posted to any rents paid after the 8th.

What if I have a problem with the tenant?2020-04-01T21:22:50+00:00

You have the right to enforce your lease and take the necessary actions following local regulations. Please send a copy of any warning letters or notice to vacate to Fargo Housing.

Who pays if the tenant causes damage to my property?2020-04-01T21:22:21+00:00

Any damages beyond normal wear and tear should be paid by the renter. Fargo Housing will not pay for any damages to your property.

Can I refuse to rent to an individual?2020-04-01T21:22:01+00:00

You have the right to select the tenant you want, however you must not discriminate against an individual because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, familial status or disability.

Can I list my rental property availability through Fargo Housing?2020-05-29T14:21:18+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

I’m selling my property, and the new owner wants to accept Housing Choice Vouchers. What do I need to do?2020-05-29T14:19:41+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

How can I raise the rent of my unit leased by a Housing Choice Voucher holder?2020-05-29T14:22:04+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

When will I receive HCV subsidy payments?2020-05-29T14:22:48+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

Will my property need to be inspected in order to accept HCVs? If so, what will the Fargo Housing inspector be looking for during the inspection?2020-05-29T14:24:14+00:00

Yes, your property must meet minimum Housing Quality Standards to ensure it is in livable condition.

What do I need to do to accept Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs)?2020-05-29T14:30:05+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

How can I partner with Fargo Housing?2020-05-29T14:31:53+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

What are the income limits for subsidized senior housing?2020-04-01T21:18:45+00:00

Those 62 and older with a household income of less than 50% of the area median are eligible.

What is the difference between a 55+ community and low-income senior housing?2020-04-01T21:16:55+00:00

Only individuals 62 or older are eligible for low-income senior housing. Applicants must have an income of less than 50% of the median income for the area and must pay up to 30% of the rent.

I’m a senior and I don’t want to move from my current apartment. Do seniors qualify for HCVs?2020-04-01T21:16:33+00:00

Seniors can use Housing Choice Vouchers to select the residence of their choice, provided the landlord agrees to accept the HCV as payment for part of the rent. Seniors can also choose to live in a HUD-approved or managed facility.

How old must I be to live in a Fargo Housing senior apartment?2020-05-29T14:35:22+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

I am a senior and need help finding an affordable home. How can Fargo Housing help?2020-04-01T21:15:10+00:00

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has created three programs for seniors: Public Housing, Multifamily Subsidized Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs). Contact a Fargo Housing navigator for help understanding which programs may be available to you.

Does Section 8 housing still exist?2020-04-01T21:14:09+00:00

Section 8, now known as Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) and Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA), is what we used to call the federally funded rental assistance program that pays private landlords the difference between what a low-income household can afford and the fair market rent.

I have applied for a Housing Choice Voucher. Can I apply for Public Housing, too?2020-04-01T21:13:53+00:00

Yes. If you are on the HCV waiting list, you may apply for Public Housing to increase your chances for receiving housing. If Public Housing is your first offer for housing, you will be required to remain in your unit for one year before you can be admitted into the HCV program.

Who is my landlord when I use a Housing Choice Voucher, Fargo Housing or the property owner/manager?2020-04-01T21:10:35+00:00

The property owner/manager is your landlord. Please contact them for any issues with your home.

I found a rental before receiving my HCV. Can I get approved sooner?2020-04-01T21:10:20+00:00

No. Finding a unit before receiving your voucher does not have any influence on when you receive your voucher or your position on the waiting list.

Do Housing Choice Vouchers expire?2020-04-01T21:10:03+00:00

No, rental assistance does not expire for households living in approved units who continue to be eligible and are in good standing with Fargo Housing.

Is there a charge to apply for housing assistance?2020-04-01T21:09:46+00:00

It is against HUD policy to charge for a Housing Choice Voucher application. However, homes made affordable through Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) are typically managed by private landlords; application processes vary and PBRA landlords may charge an application fee.

Can Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to another person?2020-04-01T21:09:17+00:00

No, HCVs cannot be transferred between people.

Can Housing Choice Vouchers be transferred to another city or area?2020-04-01T21:08:49+00:00

Yes, we call that portability. Housing Choice Vouchers may be transferred to another Public Housing Authority’s service area if you have lived in your home for at least one year. However, the Housing Authority that covers the area you are moving to must currently be accepting HCVs. Contact your future area’s Housing Authority for more information. You may also contact us for help in transferring your voucher.

Do properties that accept HCVs have to meet any quality standards?2020-04-01T21:08:15+00:00

Yes, HCV properties must meet Housing Quality Standards and be decent, safe and sanitary. Fargo Housing inspects properties before accepting them into the program.

What percentage of my income goes to rent when I qualify for a Housing Choice Voucher?2020-04-01T21:07:56+00:00

30 percent. Landlords are paid the difference between 30% of your income and the market rate of the rental with your HCV.

What is the Housing Choice Voucher program?2020-04-01T21:07:30+00:00

Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) help you pay your rent in the form of vouchers that are paid directly to a private landlord.

English is not my first language. Do you provide translation services?2020-04-01T21:06:53+00:00

Yes. Language should never be a barrier to finding a home. Fargo Housing provides free translation and interpretation services for those with Limited English Proficiency.

I need help finding housing right now — tonight. What should I do?2020-04-01T21:06:18+00:00

Fargo Housing does not offer emergency services. For immediate needs, we offer homelessness referrals, and our community is home to a network of strong community resources. Fargo Housing prioritizes finding homes for people in crisis. Contact us today, and let’s work together to find a solution.

What do I do if I feel my fair housing rights have been violated?2020-04-01T21:05:14+00:00

HUD is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit. You may also write HUD a letter, or telephone the HUD Office nearest you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

How long can I stay in public housing?2020-04-01T21:05:00+00:00

You may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease. If your family income is sufficient to obtain housing on the private market, Fargo Housing may determine whether your family should stay in public housing.

Does Fargo Housing have any selection preferences?2020-04-01T21:04:41+00:00

Giving preference to specific groups of families enables Fargo Housing to direct limited housing resources to the families with the greatest housing needs. See the Do I Qualify page for more information.

Does Fargo Housing verify personal information?2020-05-18T21:54:36+00:00

Yes. Fargo Housing conducts background checks on prospective applicants prior to assistance or move-in. This information is kept confidential.

Can Fargo Housing deny assistance?2020-05-18T21:51:52+00:00

Yes. If the applicant is over-income, or has an adverse background check, assistance can be denied.

What is a recertification?2020-05-18T21:50:21+00:00

Every Public Housing tenant is required to complete an Annual Review each year. This recertification verifies all income and assets that the tenant currently has at the time of the Annual Review. All income and asset verifications are used in calculating your rent.

Will I have to sign a lease?2020-05-18T21:47:56+00:00

Yes. You initial lease is a 12 month fixed lease. After the initial time period is complete, the lease transfers to month-to-month.

Are utilities included in my rent?2020-05-29T14:37:11+00:00

Utilities are not included in your rent.

Will I have to pay a security deposit?2020-05-29T14:37:43+00:00

Please contact us at 701-293-6262.

Will my rent go up, or down, if my income changes?2020-04-01T21:02:31+00:00

Yes, the amount you contribute towards housing costs may fluctuate with changes to household income, size, or circumstances.

Do I have to be a resident of the City of Fargo to get help?2020-05-18T21:13:15+00:00

No, you do not need to be a resident of the City of Fargo to receive assistance.

How do I check on my housing application status and waiting list position?2024-01-17T16:28:25+00:00

Please log into the Rent Cafe portal to check your status.  If you are unable to log in please call Fargo Housing at 701-293-6262.


I’ve just submitted my application, how long will I have to wait for help?2020-04-01T21:01:33+00:00

Your wait will depend upon the date of your application and any preferences you qualify for. The wait for assisted housing may be months to several years.

Is your Public Housing waiting list open?2020-05-18T21:11:49+00:00

Yes. Call us at (701) 293-6262 for details!

What is the difference between Affordable Housing, Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers?2020-04-01T20:59:17+00:00

Affordable Housing rentals offer fixed rents at lower-than-market rates and are owned by Fargo Housing. Public Housing consists of developments of government-sponsored dwellings. Housing Choice Vouchers offer help paying your rent in the form of vouchers paid to a private landlord.

What is income-based housing?2020-04-01T20:58:54+00:00

Income-based rent is set so eligible households pay no more than 30% of their adjusted income toward housing costs, including utilities, each month. See the Do I Qualify page for more information.

Do I need to be a United States citizen to be eligible for housing assistance?2020-04-01T20:57:45+00:00

United States citizens and non-citizens with eligible immigration status may receive assistance through Fargo Housing.

Who is eligible for housing assistance?2020-04-01T20:56:57+00:00

Adults 18 years or older in households earning less than 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI) are eligible for housing assistance. As defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), a household or family consists of one or more persons. Single persons and households without children are also eligible for housing assistance. See the Do I Qualify page for more information.

What is a Housing Authority?2020-04-01T20:57:14+00:00

Housing Authorities are government organizations that administer federal, state, county and private affordable housing programs.

Go to Top